Thursday, December 6, 2012

Surgery Day 1!

December 5, 2012

John and I were running a little late...imagine that...but we managed to make it to the surgery center by 6:40am. My blood was drawn for type and cross-match, then it was to my little cubicle to get gowned up. I immediately liked my nurse! Her name is Linda ZILCH lol! I took it as a wonderful sign when she told me we share the same birthday 9/17/70, and when I told her John did too, we were all amazed!  All of the nurses and docs were very friendly, professional, and informative. I had a troupe of about eight of them stop by including my surgeon Dr. Eagon! He had the most calming presence, which helped to settle my nerves. The nurse anesthetist started my IV and administered a sedative. Soon after John gave me a kiss bye, and it was off to the surgery room!

When I woke up in recovery, it was much later than I expected. The surgery had taken five hours instead of 2-3. This was because of all the adhesions they had to get through. They also had to repair two hernias as well. I awoke in excellent spirits,  anxious to see my Hubby. My pain was well controlled as I had received morphine during the surgery. I was also equipped with a pca pump with Dilaudid (a great pain med btw). My throat was extemely dry, and I was dismayed to learn the doctor had ordered me npo til the next
day. Could not even have ice chips!! I have 5 incisions including the one in my belly button, a jp drain, oxygen on, IV infusing, and a foley catheter draining my bladder. Before long, I was being wheeled to my room.

Before I entered ny room, I instantly recognized my sister Susan's voice! Susan and my brother-in-law John were on their way back from Branson. It was so nice to see them along with my Johhny E! Immediately I began asking my grandbaby...and was given the joyful news that Jessie Sue is having a little girl!!! I am absolutely thrilled!! Everyone is surprised to see I am doing great at this point. I think all the prayers and positive thinking has really paid off!! 

Most of the rest of the day involved napping, talking with my girls on the phone, and trying to keep myself comtortable. Right now the worst part is my extremely dry and sore throat. Anxious for ice chips tomorrow.

Signing off for now!!

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you a quick and healthy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing so great with recovery!!!! I am glad we were able to start this blog for you, it will be fun to be able to read your thoughts and see your pictures! <3 you maw!

    ReplyDelete